Sunday, September 4, 2011

Why Raid the Remants?

If you're like me (and many other seamstresses/sewists out there these days), you probably learned to sew when you were a lot younger, maybe shelved the activity for a long time, and came back to it later in life.  If you're like me, you probably thought, "I will save loads of money and have lots of beautiful garments that will be more individualized than what I can buy off the rack."  If you're like me....you probably realized pretty quickly that only half of that statement was true!


Looking deep into my bank account after my first few sewing projects in college, I realized that I had to become just as much of a bargain hunter in the sewing world as I had been in the world of pre-fab clothing.  I needed to find the quality (and quantity!) I needed and without bleeding away all my funds.  I have gone through some growing pains (the self-drafted infinity dress was a major failure, and making clothing out of pillowcases only worked well once out of the too-many times I tried), but I think I have come to a pretty high level of achievement for sewing well-crafted looks on a budget.

This blog will showcase my garments--most of which (though not all) are made of salvaged, discounted, or remaindered fabrics and patterns.  I'll share my best tips for frugal fashioning and hopefully get some good ideas from all three of you out there in the internet who are seeing this!

1 comment: